Dental Fillings in Jackson, MI
One of the most common dental problems faced by children and adults alike is tooth decay. Despite the advances in dental hygiene or lifestyle changes incorporated by individuals, tooth decay remains a persistent problem. Tooth decay is often caused when a tooth is exposed to acids caused by harmful bacteria in the mouth. These acids attack the enamel, causing it to lose minerals, resulting in small holes in a tooth, a condition known as a cavity. More exposure to these acids causes severe destruction on a tooth, often leading to infections, pain, and tooth loss.
The enamel can repair itself using fluoride from toothpaste or minerals from the saliva. However, once the cavities have formed, the enamel gets weakened and destroyed. Therefore, we recommend visiting our dentists near you regularly so that we can detect any signs of dental problems and treat them sooner.
Types of Teeth Fillings
Tooth fillings are used to treat cavities and holes in a tooth. Similarly, they can be used to address fractures on a tooth or cosmetically change the tooth’s size or shape. These fillings restore the natural appearance and structure because the materials being used mimic the natural teeth. Some of the commonly used teeth fillings include:
- Gold fillings: These are non-corrosive fillings that can serve you for more than twelve years and are strong enough to sustain chewing forces.
- Amalgam fillings: These comprise silver fillings that can withstand chewing forces and last up to ten years.
- Composite fillings: These fillings can be closely matched to an individual’s color of teeth.
- Ceramic fillings: These are porcelain made fillings that are durable and aesthetically appealing to many people.
- Acrylic/ Glass ionomers fillings: These are the commonly used fillings on children whose teeth are changing. They can last up to five years.
How To Maintain Tooth Fillings
Tooth fillings are mostly maintained through good oral hygiene and frequent visits to our dentists near you for regular check-ups. Similarly, brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste and flossing frequently is highly recommended to maintain your fillings.
The best person to help you decide on an ideal material to use for your dental fillings is your dentist. At Michigan Dentists, our dentists ensure our patients receive a personalized experience, meaning each case is treated uniquely. To receive personalized treatment for dental fillings near you, book your appointment at Michigan Dentists today.